Over the weekend it occurred to me why I am glad I am a writer and not a poor plumber. Here are 10 reasons:
1. Plumbers are in competition with every other plumber in the world – including the dead ones.
2. To avoid accusations of discrimination against the dead, the work of dead plumbers is made available for free by Google.
3. When people get tired of your plumbing they give it to Oxfam to spare you the trouble of doing any more of it.
4. The government finances institutions to lend your plumbing to strangers for free.
5. People who appreciate your plumbing give it to their friends so that the latter needn’t bother you.
6. Jordan is a plumber. So is everyone else who has achieved a nanosecond of fame.
7. You friends tell you that plumbing isn’t really their thing or they prefer a different style of plumbing to that which you do.
8. Friends expect you to do their plumbing for free.
9. People will tell you that everyone has a new bathroom inside them.
10. Everyone believes that you have a direct line to Hollywood moguls who will willing splash out millions of dollars to buy the rights to film your plumbing.
Isn’t plumbing a great business?